Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker Program
Increase your business competence, confidence and credibility as an insurance professional with the Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker program.
To establish yourself as a trusted insurance advisor, you need to have in-depth knowledge and understanding of all aspects of property and casualty insurance. Through the CAIB program, you will immerse yourself in the study of Personal Lines, Commercial Lines and Brokerage Management.
Each course, in this four-course program, culminates in a national examination. Upon successful completion of the four examinations, eligible candidates are awarded the nationally recognized professional designation “CAIB”. They are awarded their CAIB diploma and lapel pin at the annual IBAS Convention.
Non-members who complete the CAIB program receive a certificate of completion. However, a licensed non-member who works for a brokerage that would otherwise be eligible for IBAS membership, and who is neither a principal nor a shareholder in that brokerage may apply for an annual associate membership with IBAS in order to use the CAIB designation.
CAIB 1 – General Insurance
Level 1 Licensing Course
- Introduction to General Insurance
- Habitational Insurance
- Personal Liability Insurance
- Farm Insurance
- Basic Personal Auto Insurance
- Building Professionalism – Emphasis on Service
- Travel Insurance
CAIB 2 – Commercial Insurance (Part 1)
Level 2 Licensing Course
- Introduction to Commercial Property
- Commercial Property Insurance – Policy Forms
- Commercial Property Insurance – Additional Coverage Forms
- Commercial Property Insurance – Miscellaneous Property Forms
- Crime Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
CAIB 3 – Commercial Insurance (Part 2)
Level 2 Licensing Course
- Commercial General Liability – A Legal Perspective
- Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy
- Commercial Automobile Exposure
- Ocean Marine and Aviation Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Risk Management
CAIB 4 – Brokerage Management
Level 3 Licensing Course
- Human Resources
- Broker/Insurance Company Relations
- Building Long-Term Relationships
- Financial Management
Study Options & Exam Registration:
Students can register for this method of self-study at any time of the year by simply ordering the textbook. Students receive a textbook, student resource guide, practice exam and marking guide. Once the student feels ready to challenge the exam they can register via paper exams or online exams. There is no time limit from ordering the textbook to completion of the examination. However, please make sure to always check the current version of the CAIB textbooks before preparing to write an exam.
Online CAIB Preparation Courses – Pilot Partnership with Ensure Training & Education.
For more details on the online CAIB preparation courses please click here.
Once the online preparation course is finished the student can challenge the exam by the paper exam option or the online exam option.
The CAIB immersion courses are a week-long course offered annually for each CAIB course where students will participate in intensive exercises and discussions. A final exam is held on the last day of the immersion class. Two CAIB 1 immersion courses are held each year; one in the fall and one in the spring. One course for each of CAIB 2, CAIB 3 and CAIB 4 will be held every year.
CAIB Online Tutorials
All registered CAIB students have access to online tutorials. The enhanced learning features of the online courses include:
- Complete multimedia lectures that you can access as often as you wish.
- Interaction with the multimedia presentations.
- Downloadable PowerPoint’s for easy note taking and better retention of the course content.
- Progress quizzes with remedial feedback to consolidate your comprehension.
Students can purchase an online tutorial for $99 ($49 for members). Once the course has been activated, the student has 12 weeks of unlimited access.
The pass mark required for each examination is 60%.
The CAIB 1, 2 & 3 exams consist of 12 definition questions, 10 multiple choice questions and 26 short answer questions.
The CAIB 4 exam can consists of 18-20 short/long answer questions.
Questions? Contact the IBAS Education/Professional Development Department by phone (306-525-5900) or by emailing email@example.com.