Employer: Insurance Brokers Association of Saskatchewan
Posted: May 20, 2020
Our small-but-mighty team at the Insurance Brokers Association of Saskatchewan (IBAS) is currently accepting applications to fill the newly created position of Manager, Industry Relations, based in Regina. This is a truly unique opportunity for someone who has — or is willing to develop — a strong understanding of the P&C insurance market to make a meaningful difference on the wellbeing of consumers, our members and their communities, the industry, and the provincial economy.
As the successful candidate, you will go the extra mile to champion our members’ interests with insurance carriers, regulators, government, and other key stakeholders, including:
- Leading outreach and research efforts to understand the issues facing IBAS members — and then developing action plans to advance solutions;
- Establishing yourself as a knowledgeable, connected, and influential resource with members, industry executives, regulators, and government officials;
- Helping to interpret and communicate complex industry information with simplicity — both verbally and in writing; and
- Representing IBAS as a thought leader on identified insurance and consumer protection issues.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
While relevant insurance industry experience and education are assets (a CAIB or CIP designation would be great), we are far less concerned with what you have done than with what you can do. There are, however, certain attributes that will be core to your success. For example, you will need to be:
Personable: Relationships in this business are everything, and you will need to develop and maintain a robust professional network consisting of many diverse stakeholder groups, from member brokers and carrier CEOs to bureaucrats and elected officials;
An exceptional communicator: Good policy has little value without the ability to communicate it clearly, concisely, and with conviction;
Driven: There is no room on our bus for someone who isn’t willing to put their foot on the gas and take the wheel — passion for your work and a shared commitment to your teammates are non-negotiables;
Detail-oriented: The granular details are often where the rubber meets the road in our line of work, so you will need to keep a close eye on the fine print that others won’t; and
Collaborative: We’re a small team that comes together to help each other out, share ideas, and chip in when necessary. There are no lone wolves here.
YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE
While this is an exciting, rewarding role for the right individual, like every career, it comes with its own set of challenges. The demands on your time will be high. You’ll be pulled in several different directions — often with incomplete information — so you will need to fill in the blanks, prioritize, and multi-task without skipping a beat or sacrificing attention to detail.
WHAT WE OFFER
We believe that fit is essential. Not only do you need to fit with the culture we are striving to build, but we need to fit into your life as well. Here are a few things you can expect from us:
- A team that cares, empowers you to create, and likes to have fun;
- Fair compensation, including access to group benefits and a matching RRSP program;
- A very flexible work environment, including an extended, paid break over the Christmas and New Year’s holidays;
- The technology you’ll need to work remotely, and an office with plenty of natural light (for when things start to ‘return to normal’); and
- Professional development and advancement opportunities.
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
You must have a valid driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle to be considered. Please note that this role will require periodic travel, both in Saskatchewan and across Canada.
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail your resume and salary range expectations to IBAS CEO Derek Lothian at email@example.com. Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews, and the position will only remain open until filled. IBAS is an equal opportunity employer.