The Insurance Brokers Association of Saskatchewan (IBAS) is currently accepting expressions of interest to join its board of directors.
The nominations committee will put forward a slate of candidates for vote at the upcoming IBAS Annual General Meeting (AGM) on October 14 in Saskatoon. There is expected to be two vacancies without returning directors. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Wednesday, September 22.
Click here to complete the online expression of interest form.
What It Entails
- The IBAS board sets and monitors the direction of the association, and provides oversight of the President & CEO.
- This is a strategic board — not an operational board.
- Board terms are two years in length, to a maximum of six years.
- Regular in-person meetings are typically held four times per year in addition to the fall AGM. Through the pandemic, however, the board has relied on more frequent but shorter (60 – 90-minute) Zoom-based meetings. A hybrid of these models will likely continue through 2021-22.
- IBAS compensates directors for expenses incurred, including mileage.
- Although not required, additional opportunities available to directors include service in an officer position (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary-Treasurer), on the board’s Finance & Audit Committee, or as a director/observer on the national board of the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada (IBAC).
Who Should Consider This Opportunity
- Any brokerage principal from within IBAS’s membership. This is an immensely rewarding opportunity to make a positive contribution and advance the insurance broker profession — both in Saskatchewan and across Canada.
- Senior brokerage executives who are not brokerage principals are also encouraged to express interest. If shortlisted, these individuals will be asked to provide a letter from the brokerage principal(s) affirming the candidate has the full authority to represent, make decisions, and vote on the brokerage’s behalf in all IBAS-related matters.
- While all candidates will be considered equally on based on their own merit, any individuals with knowledge in one or more of the following areas are especially encouraged to express interest: Human resources, technology, finance, government relations, communications, change management, and general legal issues.
- The IBAS board strongly believes in diversity and inclusion. This involves proactively encouraging a balance of gender, age, rural versus urban representation, size of brokerage, perspectives, and personal background.
If you have questions or require more information, please e-mail IBAS Board Chair Dave Pettigrew at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note we are also still searching for 4 – 5 brokerage principals to join the ‘relaunched’ IBAS Rural Brokerage Advisory Committee beginning this fall. Click here for more information or e-mail IBAS President & CEO Derek Lothian directly (email@example.com) to indicate your interest in that committee.